June 25, 2024


Union County Treasurer

209 East Main Street, Suite 220

Elk Point, SD, 57025
Phone: (605) 356-2391
Fax: (605) 356-2257
Office Hours
8:30am – 4:30pm

The Union County Courthouse will be closed Wednesday, June 19th for Juneteenth, and will also be closed 

Thursday & Friday, July 4th and 5th for Independence Day.


You can now view or pay your current year taxes owed online at https://www.govtechtaxpro.com/parceldetail.php

You can pay with a Credit or Debit Card as well as an E-Check.  Fees will apply.

Please note you will be unable to pay prior year delinquent taxes online.  If you have delinquent taxes, please contact us for the amount due.

We have a payment drop box available at the main entrance to the courthouse.  If you know what you owe for taxes, you can drop your payment in the box 24/7 at your convenience.  The drop box will be emptied daily.  It will be temporarily locked at Midnight on April 30th & October 31st.  Any tax payments after that date will require a call to our office for the interest due.

Motor Vehicle Forms

All of the forms necessary when titling a vehicle can be found at the State’s website:  https://dor.sd.gov/government/county-treasurers/ 

Vehicle Registration Renewal

The State of South Dakota sends out renewal notices 2 to 3 months prior to your expiration.  Privately owned vehicles will receive a postcard, while company owned vehicles will receive a renewal letter.  Please be aware that these renewal notices are sent as a courtesy only.  If you do not have them or did not receive them, you are still required to bring one of the other documents listed below in order to renew.  We require the individual at the window to provide their ID and/or Social Security number or South Dakota issued Driver’s license number, even if the vehicles are not in their name.  If you do not have a South Dakota Driver’s license, you must provide a valid out of state license or id card and your actual social security card.   If you wish to renew your vehicle registration, you will need to bring your Drivers License and one of the following documents:

South Dakota Title/Photocopy of South Dakota Title

License Renewal Letter (available by mail or email)

Vehicle Registration

Online renewal is now available by logging on to www.sdcars.org for more information. (SD driver’s license or ID is required)

Vehicle Titling

If you just purchased a vehicle, you have 45 days to transfer title. Late transfers will be subject to penalty of $1.00 per week up to 25 weeks, and $50.00 after that. In addition, you will be subject to interest & penalty on the tax, if tax is due. Interest is 1% per month plus a 10% penalty after 60 days.  The documents needed will vary depending on the age of the vehicle and where you purchased it. Generally, you will need the title document, a purchase agreement or bill of sale and SD application for title, Odometer disclosure for model year 2011 or newer, as well as your South Dakota drivers license.  If you do not have a South Dakota driver’s license, you will need to provide a legible photocopy of each owner’s valid state issued driver’s license or ID and Social Security Card.   Non residents and move-ins will be required to show proof of tax paid to another state or pay 4% excise tax on the current NADA clean retail value.  Please contact us if you are not sure what is required prior to coming in.

Off Road Vehicles/ATV’s/UTV’s

SD residents are required by law to title any ATV purchased.  Licensing is optional if the unit meets the requirements set forth by the state: [South Dakota Department of Revenue] Low Speed and Off Road Vehicle Affidavit Form 1015 (seamlessdocs.com)

Union County no longer titles or issues license plates for non-resident owned ATV’s.  Beginning July 1st, 2023, Non residents may purchase an annual permit to ride on South Dakota roads & highways from a county treasurer’s office or online through the state.  The permit cost is $50.00 annually.  You will need to provide proof of ownership of the unit.  You will also need to provide copies of a valid out of state ID or Driver’s License and the Social Security Card for all owners.  A completed Non-Resident Off-Road Vehicle Permit Application will be needed as well.  You may acquire the permit at the Union County Treasurer’s office, or you may purchase it online directly from the state.  The county does not issue them by mail.  To apply online, click the link below.  You will need to e-sign the application and upload the required documents.  Please allow 2 weeks for processing online.

[South Dakota Department of Revenue] Non-Resident Off-Road Vehicle Permit App Form 1030 (seamlessdocs.com)


For more information on licensing & titling vehicles, please visit the state’s website at dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/

Drivers License


Union County does not issue Driver`s Licenses. The Dept of Public Safety issues Driver Licenses at the Elk Point City Hall, and at the Community Center in North Sioux City on alternate Wednesdays.  Schedules can change without notice so we will no longer post specific dates and times on this site.  Appointments can be made online or by calling (605) 773-6883

For a complete area schedule, please call 1-800 952-3696 or visit the Dept of Public Safety`s website: https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing

Real Estate Taxes

Real Property is Assessed each year by the Director of Equalization, verified by the Auditor who then applies the mill levy, and billed by the Treasurer who is responsible for collecting the taxes.  Real Estate Taxes in South Dakota are due twice a year, the first half on April 30th, and the second half on October 31st.  Payments made in person must be paid by the last business day of the month, so should the due date fall on a weekend, payment would have to be made the Friday preceding the due date.  Payments paid by mail must be postmarked by the US Postal Service no later than the due dates for each respective month.   Union County generally mails it’s tax bills out by the end of January each year.  Individuals who have bought  property within the past year should be aware that the tax bill may still be sent to the previous owner due to the Assessment process.  Anyone who does not receive a tax bill can call or email the County Treasurer & request a duplicate tax bill be sent to them.  The property owner is responsible for the bill even if they have not received a copy of it.

Real Estate and Mobile Homes are always taxed a year behind the assessment.  For example, the 2010 taxes aren’t due until 2011, the 2011 until 2012, etc.

You may view Union County’s basic parcel, assessment & tax information online at www.beacon.schneidercorp.com

Please do not use the beacon site for confirmation of taxes paid or for the amount currently due.  Use www.govtechtaxpro.com or call our office.

Taxes which are not delinquent may be paid online at http://www.govtechtaxpro.com

County Treasurer

Myron D. Hertel: [email protected]

Chief Deputy

Jamie Ehlers: [email protected]


Jen Clarey:  [email protected]

Kari Limoges:  [email protected]

Vanessa Wiseman: [email protected] 

Dustin Johnson: [email protected]