June 25, 2024

Information to a Victim of Crime

Union County State’s Attorney
209 East Main Street  ~ Suite #140
Elk Point, South Dakota 57025 ~ 2327
Telephone (605) 356-2666   /   Facsimile (605) 761-0199

(A victim of a Union County Crime will receive a letter like this letter.)

Dear (Victim):

Please be advised that our office has charged (Defendant) with (Crime) in connection with the incident which occurred on ________, 20__.

As you are a crime victim in the State of South Dakota, you have several constitutional and statutory rights.  You will find these rights enclosed.  However, in order to ensure that your rights are protected as a victim, you also have certain responsibilities.  They are as follows:

  1. Participation in the Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification System (SAVIN). To register, please contact me at 605-356-2666 on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon. I will assist you in registering for this free and secure service, which notifies you of the offender’s change in status, court hearings and release date through email, text and/or phone calls. You may also register for the service yourself online at http://savin.sd.gov. Please let me know, if you choose to enroll yourself.
  2. If you would like to participate in any phase of the criminal justice system relative to this matter, please complete the enclosed Form [A] Participation/Notification Request Form and return it to our office within five (5) days from the date of this letter.
  3. [If applicable] Fully complete Form [B] Personal Injury and/or Form [C] Personal Property, along with supporting documentation, and return to our office within ten [10) days from the date of this letter.
  4. Appear at all proceedings when requested and/or subpoenaed to do so.
  5. Notify our office of any changes in your address, phone number and/or email or update the information in the SAVIN system.

Please note that if you are a victim of a crime of violence or DWI resulting in personal injury, you may be entitled to monetary assistance through South Dakota Crime Victims Compensation.  To determine whether you are eligible to receive assistance through this program, you may call 1-800-696-9476 or review the eligibility requirements at http://dss.sd.gov/victimservices/cvc/index.asp.

Should you wish the assistance of a domestic violence/sexual assault advocate, those services are available to you upon your request free of charge. This advocate is able to travel to your area and assist you through any or all phases of these proceedings. Some of those services include, but not limited to, referrals for housing, child care, parenting, employment, medical resources, counseling and support groups, court accompaniment, emergency shelter, safety planning, and emotional support. If you would like any of these services or to speak with someone regarding these services, please contact:

Sandie Sullivan

Executive Director/Advocate

Safe Option Services

[email protected]

(605) 624-5311

I am also available to assist you with any questions and I am available to accompany you to all court proceedings. Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this letter. If you are unable to meet these deadlines, or have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best regards,

/s/ Marilyn Trefz

Marilyn Trefz

Victim Advocate

Union County State’s Attorney’s Office


(Updated 11/16/2016)